He didn't cry when he saw the pool today but did started crying as soon as we got in. He does took more breaks between his crying and only got hysterical whenever he saw the instructor and when she took him away for his one-on-one. I discover that if I engage him in the activities he is less likely to fuss and doesn't cry. For example if I make him clap along with the songs or do more movements, he's distracted and doesn't cry like if I was holding him close and try to comfort him. The instructor said he did improve because whenever she dunks him, he knows to blow out bubbles instead of just swallowing water. That's a big improvement for him so I guess it's worth to it to stick it through.
He's also been doing better in the bathtub. He doesnt' freak out so much anymore and he actually took a bath by himself today in the tub without Hieu having to get in with him!! He did fuss for a little bit but over all he's fine with it. That's a huge difference with two weeks ago where he freaks out just seeing the tub.
Chilling in the water before class. He already looked apprehensive:

Freaking out with instructor:

He really hates laying down on the water. I imagine it's really scary for him to be so close to the water.

Trying to distract him with a toy:

Mom..HELP!!!

High-five:

Humpty Dumpty on the wall. (Look how big he is next to the other kids!)

The reward after swim class. (Yes he's still in those darn bottles):

3 comments:
I'm glad he is starting to do better!
I love that first pic of you and him. You are so pretty!
It sounds like he's really starting to do better! Before you know it, he'll be swimming like a fish and all smiles!
I wonder how normal it is for kids to be scared of the water. William was for the longest time, as was I. He'll get over it someday, though. It will pass.
Post a Comment