Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Please let it be a phase

Ky-An is moving around so much in his sleep lately and gets mad doing it. I don't know if it's because he recently been walking on his own more and it's transferring over to his sleep or what. First he fights me during naptime and bedtime..what else is new right? But now he get so bad that he refuse to lay down on the bed to sleep, he rather roll over to crawl around the bed or sit up and talk. I let him crawl around the bed before, hoping he'll find a comfortable spot to settle down and go to sleep. No such luck there. He just gets more excited because he think he's playing. One night I had to chase him all around the bed and carry him back to his pillow to lay down at least 30 times. I am not exaggerating. It got to the point where he fights me so bad, I'll just put him in the crib so he can move around safely and walk out the room until he starts fussing. I know he's not fighting me because he's not sleepy because I can see it in his eyes and his face. I think he just figure out that he can move on his own and is excited to try it out. I discovered that if I let him play with something (a pen, a pacifier) then he'll lay quietly on his pillow and eventually fall alseep. All this while I am laying next to him pretending to be asleep of course. I hope that's the trick and I've found a way to keep from chasing him around the bed.

Now if I can only figure out a way for him to stay asleep. He has been getting up to crawl or sit while he's sleeping! Everytime he rolls on one of his side, he'll flip to his stomach or try to sit up. I have to quickly catch him and push him back down on his pillow so he can stay asleep. If not, he gets mad because he woke himself up and starts screaming. For the past few nights, he would roll over to his side but sometimes roll to far and end up on his stomach. Well instead of sleeping on his stomach, he automatically get into a crawling position and starts moving around the bed..with his eyes closed!!! Eventually he'll wake himself up from all these movements and as long as he see mom and dad not moving, then he'll lay back down to go to sleep. He doesn't like it if I interfere and try to pat his back or sotthe him back to sleep. I find that if I leave him alone while keeping an eye on him to make sure he doesn't get to the edge of the bed, he will settle back on his own.

I usually roll his blanket between him and his dad as a barrier and also because he likes to smush his head next to it. Well lately he will roll around and lay with his stomach on top of the blanket like a see-saw and go back to sleep like that. He's sideway to us sleeping like that so I have to wait until he fell back to sleep and move him back. I worry that Hieu will roll over on top of him or Ky-An may kick me in the stomach if I leave him sideway. If I move him before he'll fall back to sleep, he'll scream..brat! LOL.

I just hope he'll get over this stage soon because we have to constantly watch him on the camera to make sure he doesn't scoot himself off the bed. He also gets mad when he woke himself up and it's not fun trying to soothe him back to sleep again. I can still carry him around now but I worry that I can't as I get bigger. Please let it be a stage!!!!

3 comments:

asiangard said...

I remember Kai-Li started not sleeping well at that age and fighting me. At first I had to just go in the room and pretend to be asleep before sghe would, Kai-Li moves around SO Much while sleeping too.

Grace said...

Oh I remember those days with Ethan! I would get him to lay next to me on our bed, but he would just move and roll around non-stop. Finally, I just did the 'pretend to sleep' and he would look over at me, babble and noticed that mommy had no movement and I told him "Mommy is tired - she is sleeping and so should you!", so he would eventually nod off (although it would take about a 30 minute process)! That was priceless and it worked.......

It's Ky-An's stage... the cute stage it is =)

Juliet said...

Bot fun at all! I hope it IS a stage! Otherwise...and I hate to even suggest this...it might be time for the crib. :-(