Saturday, April 21, 2007

Ky-An's second swimming lesson

Ky-An did a little better in his swimming lesson today. We came there early so he can look at the pool and get used to it before I have to take him in. We were watching through the glass door and he starts crying when he saw them put the gym in. I guess he recognize that's the gym he has to go around when the instructor takes him. He still cried almost the entire lesson but I sang and shush him so he took breaks in his crying this time around. Maybe I need to reschedule the class time for him because he was getting sleepy before the class so that may add to his anxiety. I fed him milk at 7 and didn't give him any breakfast because we were not suppose to. They said if the kids eat dairy or food 30 minutes before the class, they can throw up and I didn't want him to throw up like last time. The had to get a net to scoop it up and it was embarrassing.

He did threw up a little bit this time and I ran over to see if he's okay and explain to the instructor that I didn't fee him since 7. She said that's fine and it's okay, the second class is harder than the first. NOW she tells me!!! I think the worst part of it is when I had to hand him over to the instructors so she can dip him down to the water and teach him to float on his back. He keeps looking at me as I hand him over to the instructor like I betrayed him. It's so heartbreaking but I had to stand there and try to be calm and smile so he doesn't get even more scare. I hate that part of the class the most and I am sure he does too.

I was worry the continous crying would annoy other parents but apparently they all go through it. Hieu told me he talk to some other parents and their little girl started at 3 months but cried for 4 classes (1 month). As we were leaving, we heard crying like Ky-An's so we went back to the glass door to look. Another little girl was clinging on to her dad and crying her head off like Ky-An was. It makes me feel better that I am not ky-An is not the only one. He seem to be a little better this time but if he doesn't improve after 3 sessions, I may have to talk to the manager to see if there's anything else we can do. I already pre-paid for 3 months so I hope it doesn't go to waste.

The poor guy passed out in the short car trip home again and slept for 1 1/2 hours. When he woke up I prepared a bath for him. He wasn't crying when I was trying to fill up the tub like the begining of last week. I got in and ask if he wants to come in with me and he actually lift up his arms so I can take him in. I put him sitting down across from me and he was playing with the toys and was perfectly happy. He didn't even fuss one bit!!! I don't know if this is the result of him getting over his fear or if it's because he just took a good nap and is happy. I even lay him on top of me and teach him how to kick. I hope he gets over his fear soon because we have a pool in the backyard waiting for him!

As you can see, he is crying in almost all the pictures:






He slipped while we were trying to get him on the bar. It was only for a milisecond but it sure didn't help the situation.








Poor guy..he's getting so tired after all that crying:


This is the Humpty Dumpty activity. Notice how the other kids are sitting by themselves but Ky-An wouldn't let go of me.


The look of betrayal. :(

4 comments:

Grace said...

Oh my! What an ordeal! Poor Ky-An!! I've never placed the boys in swimming lessons at a very young age, but we did the water babies thingy with mom & baby. Our boys will only swim and want to learn with mom or dad, especially Joshua as we've placed him in swimming lessons before & didn't care for it too much. Ethan we haven't started yet, but I am hoping to try once this Summer. I don't think he'll take that well =).

Cindy, the other children look older than Ky-An!! And in one of those pictures of Ky-An crying, you can see him looking directly at the camera... was it daddy??? It looks so precious!

I hope the lessons get a little easier on you...

Chau said...

Grace - I know I feel bad to have to put him through this too but we have a pool in the backyard so I feel better if he knows how to handle himself in the water. I also don't want him to be an adult and be scare of water like my little sister. One girl is younger than Ky-An and the others are a bit older but the class is for 4-18 months old so it depends on skill. They all said their kids went through that at the beginning and now they couldn't wait to get into the pool so I hope Ky-An will get there also. The picture of him looking at the camera was at daddy. I keep pointing out daddy to him and he knows daddy is taking pictures so even though he is crying, he still wants to ham it up.

I hope it gets easier also. I've never let him cry for long before so this is really hard.

asiangard said...

oh poor baby! I have never seen him cry before!!
He's looking at Daddy like "Why are you not helping me?" lol
It's good for him to learn though, especially with you having a pool.

Elizabeth said...

I didn't realize how traumatic swim lessons were. I wanted to do them with jayden, but now it will be harder with Jayden and Maya.