Saturday, April 14, 2007

My poor addict son

Coincidently after I found out that Ky-An drinks too much milk, my babysitter determines to wean Ky-An off the bottle and only give him the sippy today. She said it was a lot of hard work but she got him to drink 3 bottles from the sippy cup with no bottle. She ask me to give him the sippy at home also unless he really need it for sleep. After Hieu gave him his bath and took Ky-An to bed where I was waiting to read to him. He start laughing and get all excited because he knows his bottle of milk is coming. He was still laughing and giggling as I gave him the bottle, so excited. As he rise the bottle to his mouth and realize the bottle has the sippy cup, you can literally see his face fell and he starts crying. You can tell he was super disappointed and didn't know how to deal with it. I felt so bad so I asked Hieu to bring me the nipple and he held the bottle in his arm like it's something precious to gulp it down. It's like watching a nicotine or some kind of addict getting his "fix". So so sad.

Ever since then I try to only give him the sippy cup during the day and 1 bottle at night. He's fighting me the whole way though, teeth and nail. He did well yesterday, actually took the whole bottle in the sippy but had a hard time going down for his nap. I lay him on my lap and read a book to him while he take his bottle. That seem to work okay. However, he keep sucking his lip and cram everything in his mouth after he finished his bottle. I even give him the pacifier but all he did was turn it round and round and bite it.

He has also give up his morning bottle. He refuse to take it at all with the sippy top. I figure it's okay for him to skip that one since he's going to eat breakfast in about 2 hours anyway. Today was really bad, he hardly took any milk all day. I fed him some breakfast and we went to his swimming class. Then after being tired from all the drama that I will go into details later, he refused the milk in the car and passed out. He woke up at 11:30 and Hieu fed him his lunch. At about 2:00 we had to get ready to go to my friend's baby shower. I gave him milk throughout the day, in the car on the way t my friend's house, at her house, even afterward but he'll just shake his head at it or just take one sip. He took about 1/2 a bottle of milk the entire day. Well he was pretty tired on our way home and I know he was waiting for his nippy bottle to go to sleep. I gave him the bottle when we got home and he drank 1 1/2 bottle!!! That's about 16 oz in one sitting. Poor guy, I guess he miss it so much and couldn't get enough so he just drink and drink. He was really tired but had a hard time fallen asleep again, I guess he couldn't get enough of the nipple in one sitting.

I feel so bad for him but I don't want to relapse because the babysitter has work so hard to get him to this point. I am also afraid if we go back to the bottle then it'll be harder to get him off the next time. I just wish I can find something else he can find comfort in instead of the nipples. Maybe his blankie or something else will have to do.

3 comments:

Grace said...

It is a tough stage!! You'll have to do what your babysitter is saying and keep up with what you are doing... or it will relapse.

He'll eventually figure it out that he won't be getting a bottle anymore and will start to take the sippy instead.

But only one bottle before bed...?? I don't think it should be too much of a problem??? Or is it??? Oh... now I know how you feel!! I could just imagine the look on Ky-An's face after bath.... awwww...... poor boy!

Oh how I remember how Ethan was. He would not go to bed without that bottle before bed too...... and I didn't want my baby to grow up (if you know what I mean), so I kept it up until one day, he just would go to sleep without asking for it. Ever since then, I just threw all bottles out =) Thank goodness!

Perhaps Ky-An will eventually forget about it...

How was the baby shower??

Chau said...

Grace,

I hope Ky-An will decide to give up the bottle on his own one day also. That would be so awesome. The shower was fun, just long because I was tired. It's always great seeing old friends again.

Lauren said...

I KNOW it's tough on you, Mommy. But you know, you're kind of killing two birds with one stone on this one...he's weaning himself off the bottle and cutting down his milk intake all at once. The sippy cup thing will happen, you're just going to have to be patient.

My goodness...I can't even imagine Jocelyn drinking 16 oz. of milk at one sitting. That's almost as much as she drinks in a day! We only give her milk during her meals, the rest of the day it's water or juice (once a day on the juice).

Believe me, the last thing I want is to sound like a know-it-all (cause I'm certainly not) and I KNOW how hard it is to not give in to what your child wants when they really want it...but don't forget how many calories and fat are in milk. You just don't want him filling up on a bunch of milk when he could be eating other things that are good for him, kwim? Hugs, sweetie--I know it's tough.