Thursday, January 18, 2007

Debate: Police Probe Death After Radio Contest

http://news.aol.com/topnews/articles/_a/police-probe-death-after-radio-contest/20070117182009990001

I had a big argument with Hieu about this event this morning. I think the lady is very stupid and Hieu think it's very sad. I think it's her own darn fault for pushing herself past the limit just to win a stupid game console. I am just so fed up with all these stories of people having no sense of personal accountability. You feed your kids or yourself fast food, you sue the restaurant for making them fat. You spill coffee on yourself, you blame the place for making it too hot. A burglar come into you house and get hurt, he sues you for his medical bill.

Some of these stuff doesn't even make sense to me anymore and I am so scare that this will become the norm and Ky-An will grow up blaming everyone else for his mistake. Back to the story, I think it's ridiculous that the radio station is getting all the blame for this. I think they should bear part of the blame but not all. Even if she doesn't know the danger of water intoxication, she should know her limit and stop like other people did. She's probably so desperate to win this game console for her kids(that they probably don't need) and pushed herself on. She complained of feeling sick and having a headache after the contest. I think she should feel something else like nausea before she stopped. Seriously..you should know if your body is not feeling well or not. Have you try drinking even a glass of water too fast? It doesn't feel good at all and your first instinct is to stop. Even if she didn't know she can die from too much water, she has to know she will be sick. Why would you even want to risk that when you have three kids at home?? What is that teaching your kid anyway? That you should do anything you can for a game console or win a contest? Even if that means jeopardzing your health? People do stupid things for radio contests sometime. People actually took a sledgehammer to bang on their own car and shave their head for a ps3 competition here in our city. I was appalled when I was listening to it.

The contestants had to sign waivers..so they know there's a risk. Second, other contestants bail out because she's the second finalist. How did other people know to bail out? Because they know when the have had enough. Hieu think that "weighing the options death probably never occured to her unless someone lets her know of the dangers of doing it." Are people so dumb that we have to point everything out to them now? Isn't it bad enough we have to have those stupid warnings on all our products?? "Don't use this in water", "don't poke this in the eye". Only you know your body and how much of anything you can handle. Can the station be blame if she has no common sense? I mean you can die from anything if you overdo it. If they have a running contest, she keep pushing herself she'll die. If they have an eating contest, she pushes herself beyond her limit, she'll die. The whole point I am trying to make is that it's not ALL the station's fault and that you have to be responsible for your own actions. People need to have some kind of personal accountability. I am so sick of them keep blaming others for their stupidity.

Another question is where do you draw the line on people's common sense and it became the responsibility of others? If she was giving a glass of poison to drink and she didn't realize poison could kill her, is she responsible? College kids who drink too much and die from alcohol intoxication, should the bar or the bartender be sued for giving them too much? If you are out on a "Guy's night" and your friends pressure you to have sex with the striper, is it your friend's fault? If you eat one of those poisonous blowfish at a sushi bar, can your family sue them if you die? It's common knowlege and they'll make you sign a waiver but are they to blame if you take on the risk? If you wait outside Best Buy in the freezing weather for a PS3 and die because you are not bundled enough, is that Best Buy's fault for not warning you? If someone has no common sense and their decisions became the responsiblity of others then should she be consider a child instead of an adult? It's the same concept right? That they are incapable of making their own decisions.

Hieu and I didn't get anywhere with this debate and neither of us changed our position. I am sure most of you will disagree with me but I'd like to hear your thoughts. Leave me a comment and let me know.

3 comments:

asiangard said...

I had no idea you could die from drinking too much water!! Crazy!
That is so weird!!

Juliet said...

Thank you! You have voiced thoughts I have had for a long time. Of course, if someone agrees to participate in a contest like that, how much common dense do they really have, anyway? *shakes head* Sometimes I fear for humanity.

Lauren said...

I think they call this natural selection. Okay, that was mean. But come on--a little common sense is all it takes.

Anyhow, no argument from me, Cindy!