Saturday, May 12, 2007

Budget Woes

Well I started my budget this month is and it's not going too well. Fortunately we haven't had to be on a strict budget since college and I forgot how hard it is. I really admire those people who can follow their budget. Ours already went down the crap shoot because we are over in about 4 categories! The biggest hole is the gifts category, as I already expected. I budgeted $100 for gifts a month and maybe that's not realistic and I should rethink it. For each family member's birthday we spend at least $50, which is half the budget already. This month we have 5 birthdays, 2 graduations, 2 baby showers, and Mother's Day. With all this it's not surprising that we spent more than $1000 on gifts this month. It doesn't put us in the hole but we just won't be able to save as much as I wanted to. *pout*.

Next month I only have 2 birthdays and Father's day so I am hoping we will do better. At least our electricity bill was surprisingly much lower than what I budgeted for. That's very good considering it's starting to get hot here in Texas and I anticipate our bill to be in the $500s. One good thing about all this budget tracking is that it allow me to keep a reign on my spending and actually watch my purchases. Before for purchases under $50, I would just go out and buy whatever I want without giving it a second thought. Yes it's very nice that I am able to do that and I am truly appreciative but I like that I am more aware now and am not so wasteful.

Let's just hope I can stick to this budget or we cannot afford to buy a minivan after Ai-Vy comes!

1 comment:

Grace said...

Oh I admire you for making a budget! I really should be working on one, but haven't really had a chance too.... or could that be just an excuse? ;)