Thursday, December 25, 2008

Merry Christmas everyone!!!

Even though I was raised a Buddist, we have always celebrate Christmas ever since we came to America. We've always have the Christmas tree and decorations around the house. We celebrate the spirit of giving and everything non-religious about the holiday. We know this is the US's biggest holiday and we embrace it.

Our Christmas is never without gifts, even when we were at our poorest. My dad worked 2 jobs and the whole family went to the flea market to sell watches and telephone in the weekend. One year we were so financially strapped that my parents couldn't afford to give us any money to get gifts for each other. We scrapped up whatever we have ourselves and went to the $1 store to select gifts for everyone. We still had so much fun and no one notice the cheap gifts, just enjoyed the thoughtfulness and the gift of giving. Nowadays the kids are just spoil with presents each year and I hope to show them the true meaning of Christmas as they grow.

I've always love the joy of giving gifts to others. When we were young we would wake around weeks before Christmas keeping our ears open for hints. Then we went out purchasing the "perfect" gift. I just love seeing their expression face when they open the present you've worked so hard to get. They always react with "how did you know I wanted/needed this?" It's so awesome! It's always our tradition to get presents for whomever is spending the event with us. Whether it be a boyfriend, a friend, or a long-distance relative. It does get costly but we wouldn't have it any other way.

Nowadays it's hard to walk around looking for hints when each of my sisters are living at a different place. We've resort to creating online wish lists. This year we use elfster.com and it's great at asking anonymous questions and marking items are purchased so that you don't receive duplicate presents, which has happen before.

We said we were going to cut back this year due to the uncertainty of the economy. We all are fortunate and everyone still has their jobs but who knows what will happen in the next year. However, everyone still went out and bought everyone else presents..maybe just a little cheaper than last year. I am so lucky to have such a great family, immediate and otherwise. I love our family traditions and hope to keep it for a long time to come.

Have a wonderful Christmas everyone and may yours be as joyous as ours!!!

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I think its wonderful that you do this. I never heard of that website, elfster.com. I will have to look into that for next year. Remind us, ok. : )

Grace said...

Merry Christmas!! I'm a little late, but just got back......

Grace said...

I'm a little late, but we just got back....... MERRY CHRISTMAS!