Saturday, March 3, 2007

Eventful day

We took Ky-An and my nephew to the Moody Gardens Aquarium in Galveston today. Even though tt took us 2 hours to get there and back, and they only spent an hour at the aquarium, they still had a blast. Ky-An had a good morning nap but only get about 1/2 hour for his afternoon nap on the way there. He usually gets about 2-3 hours in the afternoon. He was fine when we got to the aquarium and after one hour, both kids were tired so I thought for sure he would sleep on his way back. I was hungry so we stopped at Sonic and he wanted my sister to feed him his food the whole time. (She was sitting in the back with him and my nephew).

After we got back, my sister left my nephew with us to go out to dinner with some friends for her birthday. We figure it'll be good practice for us to handle two kids also. Hieu went out to get some spaghetti for the kids and we fed both of them. Ky-An looked pretty tired by then so I decide to give him a bathe and put him to bed. I was so sure since he stayed up 2 hours past his bedtime the night before and the lack of sleep today would make him conk out right away. Boy was I wrong!! I don't know if it's a mistake to give my nephew and him a bath at the same time or not because he was hyper after that. Maybe it's too much out of his routine, because not only did he took a bath with his cousin, we also put him in the big bathtub and he was always in his inflatable one. He got scared and didn't like to very much.

So after our bedtime routine and I chased him around the bed for an hour. I tried singing to him, laying still and pretend to sleep, but nothing worked. He keep kicking me trying to crawl everywhere. Even though I had my hands to keep him from kicking my stomach whenever he gets near, there are still some accidental one. I hope my little bean is okay. Anyways back to my battle with Ky-An, after chasing him around I got tired and tried to held him down hoping that will calm him down and he'll go to sleep. Nope, he got really mad and keep crying. I thought..okay, maybe he just needs to cry and get it out of his system then get tired and go to sleep. After all cry-it-out moms do it all the time right? I let him cry for no more than 2 minutes (I am sure because it seemed like an eternity to me) while I lay there pretending to sleep. After a bit I felt bad so I got up and held him. I walked around with him trying to calm him down but he got more upset because he wanted to go outside and play. After a bit, he started coughing and throwing up. I ran out of the room because he was turning red, borderline blue. I called out to Hieu and once Hieu got there Ky-An was okay again. Poor guy was really scare after that and was crying even harder. I had to hold him close to me, spaghetti puke and all. I fet so bad for him, he was trembling. After calming him down and everyone got changed, I let him stay outside to play for a bit because he would cry everytime I head towards the room. Finally I gave him something to play to distract him and took him to the room and gave him some milk. He was still rolling around a bit and the darn bottle fell to the bottom of the bed. I had to get on my stomach to get it so he can take the rest of the bottle to go to sleep. I know I am not suppose to in my state but it was so hard to get him the room and calm him down, I didn't want to risk opening the door to call Hieu for help. Well after taking that last of the milk, he finally went to sleep.

I thought I am good for the night and was relaxing in the study when Hieu called me because he's crying. I hate it when I am not listening on the monitor because by the time Hieu called me, he has cried for a long time and it's hard to calm him down once he gets to that state. If I hear him, I can get him back to sleep before he gets too upset. I got in there and of course he was hysterical. I had to pick him up and walk him around to calm him. It took about 10 minutes of me shushing him and talking to him calmly. I realize that I have to remind myself to take deep breathes and calm down whenever I comfort him or he gets even more upset. That's very hard to do whenever you have a crying baby in your arms. I walk around humming and talking to him. After I feel that he had laid his head on my shoulder and hasn't move for a while, I'll move him the a craddling position. Walk around for about 5 minutes more in that position before I can put him back to bed. Laid next to him for about 5 minutes more then leave the room. If I transfer him to the craddling position to soon or move him to the bed too soon, he'll cry and it's harder this time to calm him down. It's the same old drill everytime he wakes up and we are not in bed yet. That's why I would rather grit my teeth and hold him for an extra 5 minutes even though my arms are burning, then have to hold him for another 20 because he's not really asleep yet. That was my Saturday. Needless to say I am exhausted. I am just waiting for my siter to pick up my nephew and Hieu and I are going to crash.

2 comments:

Lauren said...

Awww...poor guy! I hope he gets back on his schedule soon! Sounds like he was just all out of wack.

Don't worry about your little bean--s/he's got plenty of protection in there! KyAn isn't going to be able to hurt anything.

Elizabeth said...

Oh girl, I'm so sorry. I read your post and I know I've been there before. Jayden is the same when we alter his routine. And don't worry about the bean. You should see some of the stuff I do with Jayden and I'm going on 9 months. Jayden still lays on my belly, throws himself on me, slaps my belly and the other day, he tried to walk on my stomach. Ouch, that hurt. And although many say I shouldn't, I still carry Jayden. I just can't help it. I feel the need to spend quality time with him cause soon there'll be two of them and only one of me.