Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Salted Eggs and Rice Porridge


I don't know why I like rice congee so much while I am pregnant and right after I gave birth. Not the ones with stuff in it like chicken, pork, or fish...just plain white rice congee. After my last two births, my mom would ask me what I want to eat and I always crave for rice congee with salted pork on the side. I started thinking about it the other and thought it would be good with salted egg also. Of course once I start thinking about it, I start salivating and had to ask Hieu to stop by and Asian grocery store to get me some. Being a loving husband who's used to my crazy cravings, he did just that and bought me a package of six. I cooked up some rice porridge and has been eating that with salted eggs for the past 3 days, lunch and dinner. I told Hieu if I keep craving this my blood pressure is going to be through the roof! I just had some this morning and it was yuuuumy!

In other news, Hieu and I decided that we need to get a minivan before this new baby comes. We thought we can get buy with my Acura but after taking my nephew and Ky-An to the aquarium last weekend, we realize how desperately we need a bigger car. It was so cramped in the car with 2 car seats, even with my nephew facing front. He was also so close to the front seat that he keep kicking Hieu's seat while he drives. That's when Hieu goes, that's it..we need a minivan. We need more room between their seat and ours..haha. We won't buy one until I am in my late second trimester or third just to be sure. We are keeping my Sedan and trading in Hieu's truck for the minivan. Never thought I'd turn into one of those moms who drive a van but it's the most practical car right now.

We want to wait until the end of the year to get one because you get a better deal but since this baby is coming in September; I am not sure if we can wait 3 more months before getting a new car. We will try to find an older model that is brand new instead of this year's model because it's cheaper that way. The good way to do that is at the end of year when they are trying to get rid of last year's model. Oh well. My friend said her husband has good relationships with all the dealership in town and can get us a car under invoice so I hope we'll get a good deal regardless. Our top choice right now is either a Honda Odyssey or a Toyota Sienna. I've heard good and bad things about both but we'll need to test drive both to see which one suits us best. We still have time.

4 comments:

Lauren said...

Well, good luck with your minivan choice. I'd either be looking at the Odyssey or Sienna too (we're definitely a Japanese car family--we have a Toyota Camry and a Nissan Murano). The Murano is "mine" and I love it. We'll be trading in the Camry for something else in two years when both cars are paid off. Quite possibly a minivan--they're just so darn kid-friendly. By then I'll hopefully have two kids and we'll see how things are going. I hear the Nissan Quest is really nice too. But personally I don't care for the outside of it--I wish they would remodel it.

asiangard said...

I like plain congee too, with some fish sauce though and maybe some green onions and an egg mixed in.
now I'm feeling hungry. lol
We have a
Honda Pilot, it's an 8 passenger, i like it ok. i think an Odyssey would be better though, with the sliding doors.

Elizabeth said...

I have been craving farina (cream of wheat). I eat it almost every morning. After I had Jayden, I craved PBJs. Luckily, we just found a spanish restaurant in our area that can help me out with some of my other cravings. We were just there 2 weeks ago satisfying a craving. About the minivan, Dh is always telling me to get one. I told him when he trades in his car for a truck, I'll trade mine in. hehe. We just paid off both cars and I want to enjoy that for a while before getting into a payment again. Hope it all works out for you.

Grace said...

Hi - I hope you don't mind but I came across your blog through Juliet & Rhiannon! You've got a nice blog and your ds is just as adorable.

Good luck with the Van hunting! We've got an Odyssey as well and I absolutely LOVE it! My SIL has a Sienna and she LOVES hers too, so I believe that both are good in their ways =) I'm Japanese, so I'll stick to the Imports... LOL.