Monday, March 12, 2007

It's Pneumonia!!!

I am officially the worst mom ever! I took Ky-An to the doctor today and he has pneumonia, that's what causing his fever!! I feel so bad, I should've just take him to the doctor on Friday and get him on antibiotics sooner. It's just that I've taken him in at least 20 times this year whenever he develop a cough, he's fussy, or if he gets a mild fever. Each of those time I get sent home with a "nothing is wrong with him, just a mild cold. He'll get over it." This time I thought it might be the same and decide to wait it out...what do you know, there is something wrong this time! Argghhhh!!! I feel so bad. I am going to spoil him rotten today.

I didn't get any sleep last night because he has a fever when he went to bed. We ran out of Motrin so I gave him some Tylenol. He was still warm the whole night and I stayed up to monitor his temperature. If it gets above 102, I was going to wake Hieu up to get some Motrin. Otherwise, I will get him get some rest. Luckily it never did but I keep waking up to check and make sure he doesn't get too hot. Every time he gets sick, I am so scare. It feels like I am living my worst fear over again, that he's being slowly taking away from me. I just want to stay awake and hold him for as long as I can.

As soon as 8a.m. roll around, I called the doctor for an appointment. We got one for 9:50 and I was so relieved. On the way home the poor guy was so tired from the fever, he fell asleep so I couldn't give him any medicine right away. He woke up with a temperature of 103.5. I freaked out and call the doctor again and they told us to give him some Motrin for the fever and then the antibiotics. If his fever doesn't go down in an hour then give him some Tylenol. So within an hour I had to cram in 3 different type of medicines. The antibiotics is so nasty it made him threw it up. I took a taste of it and even after I mix it with some juice, it's still so bitter! No wonder the poor guy cry everytime I give some to him and threw it up! To make it worst, I had to feed him food with the antibiotics or it'll give him an upset stomach. He wanted nothing to do with the food nor the medicine and I don't blame him. I am sure he's feeling nauseous from the fever but I had to make him eat some. I gave him his favorite Xiu Mai Bao and he ate some of it.

He fell asleep in my arms after that, didn't even take the milk that he loves. I held him in my arms for a while and keep giving him the rest of the antibiotics, a little at a time. That took about a hour to finish. After that I took his temperature again and it was still 100 so I gave him some Tylenol. He cry every time I put the dropper to his mouth and I finally force some in. I felt so bad but I had to make him take it so he can feel better.

He's sleeping peacefully right now. He's drenched in sweat even though I only dress him in a t-shirt and diaper with the fan on. At least that mean the fever is breaking and he is not so flush anymore. I just want my baby better and get my happy chatterbox back. I think the worst thing for a parent to do is watch your child being sick. I hate that feeling of helplessness and it brings back a lot of deja vuos feelings with Lan Vy. Please let my baby be okay!

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Hang in there Cindy. Ky-An will recover. You'll see in a couple of days. He'll be playing like nothing every happened. I know it's hard not to worry, but you're doing all the right things. I can't believe they didn't give you flavored antiobiotics. When Jayden gets sick, he won't take the dropper either so my friend (also an ER doctor) taught me a trick. It hurt me so much to do it the first time, but it's quick and painless and get's the medicine in, no matter how hard they cry. Hold both of his arms over his head, while he's laying down and hold them over his head with one hand. This helps hold his arms, and keep his head still. They will most likely start crying, which is the easiest way to give them the meds since they will swallow it down between gasps. PS Me an my sister cried teh first time we did this to Jayden, but it's the easiest way to make sure he gets what he needs. Then of course, I console him and he gets over it really quick and nomally keeps the meds down too. Hope this helps. Just a little something that helped me out...

asiangard said...

I have had this experience before with all my kids, Jaden had pnemonia about the same age as Ky-An, each time we had to stay at the hospital for a week!
Even Kai-Li had it last year.
Ky-An will be fine, it's not uncommon.
I'm sorry he has to take the yucky medicine though. Maybe try and give him some with ice cream or something. ((hugs))