Saturday, April 26, 2008

Our First Garage Sale!

Our neighborhood host an annual garage sale every year in the last week of April. Due to our Deed restriction, we are only allowed one garage sale per year so the HOA decide to do a big one so everyone can participate. I love it because it's a lot of fun and look forward to it every year. Hieu and I have been contemplating whether to sell anything this year because we have a lot of stuff but not sure if we can handle it with 2 little ones. We received the neighborhood newsletter at the beginning of the week annoucing the garage sale and decided to go for it on impulse.


I don't even know what we were thinking because it's a lot of work..ALOT!!! I pull out all the items in my stockpile that I know we are not going to use or will not be able to use all before the expiratin date. I got pricing stickers for free at Walgreens by working them into the Aveeno deals. I got everything priced by Wednesday and then it's time to sort all the kid's clothes to sell. I think I need about 2 weeks to do this, not 2 days. I only get about an hour every night to prepare for the gargage sale after putting the kids to bed and pumping. We stayed up until almost 1 on Friay to get everything ready.

Thank goodness Hieu was on board and helped me out. I am not sure I could've do it by myself. At first he didn't really get involved but by the end of the week, he was going around the house looking for things he can sell and helped me priced his items on Friday. He also went over to my little sister's boyfriend's house (in the neighborhood) to borrow some long tables to display our products.

I finally got to bed at 1 in the morning and Ai-Vy woke up every hour after that crying because she's congested. I hear it storm at 3 a.m. and got a little worry. When I woke up at 6, the weather was still horrible and rainy. I scramble to get more of the kid's outgrown clothes ready as soon as I woke up. By 7:30 I asked Hieu what we should do? We already put so much work into it so I really don't want it to go into waste. Hieu suggest we put a table out in the portico of the garage and he'll tarp up other parts of the garage so no one can see what we have in there. Then start a chain of chaos of getting all the boxes out the garage, display them on the table, Ky-An is whineybecause we are not paying attention to him, Ai-vy is crabby because she's not feeling well and she didn't get much sleep last night, feeding them, putting them down for naptime, and taking care of the customers and the bargaining.

The rain stopped at about 10 a.m and it was supper crowded. Our house is on the corner of a main street so it's prime estate for the garage sale. We had so many people stopping by to buy stuff and most of my stockpile was gone! I sold all of the diabetes monitor that CVS paid me $15 to take. I sold most of the deodorants that are also free at CVS. Razors, lotions, facewash, Loreal shampoo/conditioner, and Suave shampoo/conditioner that Walgreens paid me to take. I first priced them at $.75 but it wasn't really selling so I lowered the price to $.50 and they went like hot cakes. We also sold a bunch of brand new toys that I got at 75% off at Target. I sold 8 of the Airwick Freshmatic that I got for $.99 for $3.

My little sister was a great help in assisting me in sales and cover me when I had to tend to the kids. By 2p.m. the traffic has slowed down and I was waiting for Hieu to come out to start cleaning up. I heard someone crying on the monitor so I ran to see who it was and left our garage sale with no one watching it. Turn out Ky-An had somehow coughed too hard in his sleep and threw up all over himself. I came in to see Hieu freaking out and Ky-An stripped down hysterically crying with the bath water running and Ai-Vy awoke looking so tired. I told Hieu to go clean up the garage sale and I'll give Ky-An a bath. I calmed him down and gave him a bath while Hieu boxed up everything. That is how our garage sale was ended.

We did much better than I expected at the garage sale, profitting $475.25. Not too shabby for stuff that would've otherwise sit around in the attic Some of the big items was Ai-Vy bedding set that I sold for $25. I felt bad for the family who was buying it so I just sold it to them for cheap. We sold our extra vacuum for $15. Ever since we hire our cleaning service, we hardly use it anymore. I sold my LV purse that I used for about 5 years for a measly $25 :P The rest was from my stockpile so more money added to the grocery budget!!!!

Even though we were exhausted by the end of the day (what were we thinking??!!!) , we had a lot of fun meeting the neighbors and being salespeople. My little sister and I kidded that it reminded us of our childhood when we had to sell at the flea market every weekend.





Multi-tasking..tending to Ai-Vy and selling.


Ai-Vy checking out the garage sale:

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Golly, girl! You made out like a bandit. There's a CVSer in my area that has garage sales all the time. She must always keep her garage set up. She will never negotiate on a price. I used to get all excited when I saw her signs go up,but now that I do the same thing, it's not as fun anymore.