Monday, April 27, 2009

Garage Sale

A month before the garage sale, I start weeding out my excess stockpile and offer them to my friends and co-workers.  They were all amazed at the stuff I was selling and for such a cheap price.  I receive $214.50 from selling my stockpile to them and they were grateful. 

The neighborhood garage sale was originally set for April 18th.  My sister from Dallas was so excited about it and decide to come down to participate in the event.  We monitored the weather all week and it said 30% chance of rain..then 40% chance of rain by Friday.  We were hoping that it’ll just rain early in the morning or will have a big pour down and be done for the day.  My sister made plans to come down and the chance of rain changed to 60% by Friday night.  By Saturday it’s 100%.  It was ominous when we woke up but we prepare for the garage sale anyway hoping for the best.  People start coming in right away and after 2 hours before the storm arrived; I made $133.25, $97.25 was for the excess stockpile.  My oldest sister made $84 and my little sister had $75 in sales.

Because of the rain, the HOA rescheduled it for the following week and I was pretty bummed out for my sister.  She was so excited about it and did so much prep work.  She surprised me when she announced that she’ll come down again next weekend to sell her stuff.  I nervously monitor the weather again and thank goodness it turn out to be a beautiful day.  She and I were up until 1 the night before preparing for the sale, sorting out clothes and pricing everything.  We were suppose to wake up at 6 in the morning to get ready but didn’t wake up until 7.  Hieu and my brother-in-law looked after the kids and took them to Discovery Green so we can manage our garage sale.  I made a total of $283.75 that day, $188.25 of which was for stockpile items.  My oldest sister made $294, my second oldest made $48, and my youngest made $36.  It was tiring but a very fun day.

So $214.50 for the pre-garage sale sell
     $ 97.25 for the raining garage sale
     $188.25 for the re-schedule garage sale
Total $500 going toward the grocery budget.  Lots of work but now I have some more room to stock up more stuff.



1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Way to go! You sure know how to work it! Can you see how far you've come since you started? I'm shocked sometimes, but I've slowed down so much. There were so many great deals this week, but I had no time at all to go out. So sad.