Friday, January 2, 2009

Savings this year

I was hoping I'd hit $10,000 in savings this year but my final total is only $9860.91. I first keep track of this when I started couponing. I want to make sure all the money I invest in couponing and stockpile doesn't exceed my savings. I calculate this by listing every item I purchase that I use a coupon for, whether it's $.50 for a gallon of milk or $5 making an item free. I have 3 columns: 1 for manufacturer coupon, 1 for store coupon, and 1 for any cash I have to pay. I put any Register Reward catalina, extra bucks, or gift cards under store coupon. I also deduct things that I have to buy for my couponing such as newspapers every week, sheets for my coupon binder, etc. I also deduct if someone give me money buying stuff from my stockpile.

After adding the manufacturer coupons and the store coupons together, then deduct any money I have to pay out and the total is -$9860.91.

I am not as good as some other ladies on other blogs (Jane4girls and zoeysmom) where they can spend $100 TOTAL or less of grocery in per month. I don't think I can ever do that because my kids go through about 3 gallons of milk a week. Horizon milk are about $7*3 =$21. That's $84 already. Both of my kids are also in diapers and then there's the Asian market that we have to go to for most of our grocery. American grocery stores doesn't have the different cuts of meats and fishes that I need for our meals. Asian grocery stores doesn't take coupons nor have sales so there's only so much I can do.

This year I was able to stockpile the following items:

  • Air Fresheners
  • Candles
  • Cleanser
  • Contacts solutions
  • Cough medicine
  • Floss
  • Gel and hairspray
  • Lifesavers
  • Aging lotion
  • Cooking Oil
  • Pain medicine
  • Razors
  • Reynolds foil
  • Rubbermaid
  • Saran wraps
  • Shaving cream
  • Socks
  • Sugar
  • Adult and toddler toothbrush
  • Trash bags
  • Vitamins
  • zip-loc/Hefty bagsToddler toothpaste
  • Of course shampoo/conditioner and toothpaste

3 comments:

JANE4girls said...

you did great with your goal though!

I agree Asian markets are much more expensive, but they often have better food, lol.

Now I feel like making lumpia, lol.

katycouponers said...

That is GREAT savings! Good job. Looks like I have some competition with you living so close to me, lol.
Oh and my Korean friend lived with me for about 4 months and I was happy she took the kimchee with her when she moved out, lol

Chau said...

Don't worry ZM, I usually shop the stores around my work. I get a better chance running deals there. There are too much competition around here!