Thursday, May 29, 2008

Life with 2 kids - 8 months later

Life is still as hectic as when we first brought Ai-Vy home. However, our life is not surrounded by naptimes and diaper changes anymore. Ky-An is still adjusting amazingly well and is a wonderful big brother. He would bring her blankets and toys when she's awake. If he's playing a toy and Ai-Vy wants it, he'll give it to her and go find something else (even if that toy is his prized possession). I am just so happy and feel so blessed to have 2 incredible kids.

All the kids still sleep on our bed. Ai-Vy goes to bed at about 7, if she doesn't fall asleep in the car on the way home from the babysitter's. Depending on how well the napped that day, sometimes Hieu and I will eat dinner before bathing the kids and putting them to bed. If they are too tired then dinner will have to wait until they are asleep. I bathe Ai-Vy and put her to sleep while Ky-An lays on his little couch and drink his milk. After Ai-Vy is alseep for about 10 minutes or so, I'll take her to the spare room upstair while Hieu bathe Ky-An and brush his teeth. One of us will then read to him then I'll sing and put him to sleep. We then bring Ai-Vy back into the room where they both sleep while Hieu and I do some personal stuff. We've tried leaving Ai-Vy in the room while we put Ky-An to sleep but Ky-An tends to scream and poor Ai-Vy would wake up crying. Some people will probably roll their eyes for us having to carry Ai-Vy in and out of the room every night but it's working for us and a little effort is okay if my kids are sleeping well.

Ai-Vy wakes up at about midnight every night to drink her bottle then goes back to sleep. She wakes up again at about 4 o' clock and I call this the 4 o' clock hump. If she drinks her bottle and just go to sleep then both kids will sleep until 6:30 a.m. If she won't go to sleep afterward and start talking loudly then we'll have to take her outside. She usually talks louldy outside for about an hour and will want to go back to sleep. I am not sure why she does this but she just won't go back to sleep right away sometimes no matter what I try. During this process of her talking loudly and taking her outside, she may wake up Ky-An. If I am successful at putting Ky-An back to sleep then it's fine. If not, both kids and both parents will be up before 5:30 a.m.

Going out with the both of them is still a production. I think it may be because I like to be well prepare and make sure I have everything they need. If we want to go out then Hieu and I will have to make prepartions the night before. We have to pack both diapers, wipes, change of clothing, toys, water, hats, blankets for the car, and a plastic bag for dirty diapers. We have to decide what stroller to take..do we take the double stroller that Ai-Vy can't sleep in? Or do we want to take the travel system and the umbro? For Ky-An we have to pack some snacks for Ky-An and milk sippies. For Ai-Vy we have to pack formula, baby food, bibs, spoon, a small towel, powder, diaper cream, and the all-important-pacifier. By the time we pack all this in the bag, it's bursting at the seams and we are ready for nap!

This is a mobile month for Ai-Vy. She learned to get on all four, scoot around, crawl, and stands up all within her 8th month. She still has no teeth but loves to eat. She'll grin really big and giggle if you copy whatever sound she is making. Whenever she sees me, she'll wave both arms and legs, make noises trying to catch my attention, and try her best to scoot her way towards me. It's heart-melting whenever she does that...poor girl.

Ky-An loves playing games now. He loves it when we play the "what flies" game with him. We'll start with something like "House fly" and he'll go "House no fly". Then we go "bird fly" and he repeats "bird fly". He also likes to play the "guess what animal it is game". He'll ask "what's this?" and expect for you to say the wrong answer so he can corrects you. Sometimes he'll join in the game with the wrong answer expecting us to correct him.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

hehe... It's amazing the production when we get ready to go out with kids. What happened to the days where you just grabbed your purse and went? I actually have a checklist I follow so I don't forget stuff, but at this point I do it so often that it's become a routine so even the production which would seem crazy to an outsider is organized chaos in my world.