Ai-Vy is here and things couldn't go smoother than I wanted. We arrived at the hospital at 5:30a.m. and I got prep right away. They gave us a bunch of paperwork, drew my blood for various tests, and put in the IV. That's the part I hate most cause the IV needle is big and they pierce it through your skin..ugh. Of course they had to do it twice because my vein was stubborn and retract the first time they did it.
Things to remember if I want to get pregnant again: Blood tests, IV, Epidural, surgery, removal of stapkes, and recovery. Fun stuff.
After the IV, my next fear is the epidural. I really feel for people who hate needles or have stubborn veins who have to go through labor. They walk me into the Operating room and did a monitor on Ai-Vy. It took the nurse a while to find her heartbeat for some reason and she started looking worry. I was having the worst case scenario running through my head and thinking the worst things. Luckily she found it right after that or I'll have a heart attack! They then gave me a local on my back before doing the epidural. What a blessing that was because I only felt a little pinch on the local and a little pressure on the epidural and it's done! With Lan Vy, they didn't give me a local first and the epidural was no fun at all. They gave me the pressure test after the epidural and I still feel some stuff so I was scrare they may start cutting and I'll feel it. That's my biggest fear, that the doctor will start cutting and I'll feel everything. As the doctor was cutting me, I was concentrating really hard to make sure I don't feel anything and ready to scream if I did. Luckily I didn't but she's taking a really long time and we don't see the baby. Thank goodness they let Hieu into the operating room by this time because I started getting tense again and gripped his hand really hard. I am glad he's there for emotional support. I remember asking him if anything is wrong and why is it taking so long? Thank goodness soon after that they got her out and she started crying. It's such a beautiful sound and we all breathe a sigh of relief.
She was covered in mirconium but beautiful otherwise. She was born at 7:58 a.m. at 16lbs, 11 oz and 19 3/4 inches long. She has long fingers and long toes like my little sister. I forgot how small they are when they are first born and keep marveling at this little miracle. How could something so small have all the parts I do and can sustain on her own? She looks very similar to Ky-An when he was a newborn. She's been eating well and sleeping well. We are very blessed. The only problem I have with her is keeping her latchhed on. She would fuss and cry until she can latch onto my breast. Once she's on, she would only take a couple of suck then fall asleep or let go because there's no milk. I tried uncovering her, massage my breast, tickle her neck but nothing would wake her up. The lactose consultant tell me to stop giving her formula aferward because she's waiting for the bottle and that's why she won't take my breast. I tried her advice but she was so hungry and I had no milk in my breasts yet. She would take a couple of sip, then started crying because there was no milk and she was hungry. There was no calming her down and she would spit out my breast after that because there's no milk. I don't know how the lactose consultant expect me to calm her down if I don't give her the bottle. She was so hungry she drank the whole 2 oz! Those of you who have successfully breastfed, I would love to hear your advice on how to do it.
My car also broke down when Hieu went to pick up Ky-An later on that day. Thank goodness it didn't happen on our way to the hospital or after he already picked up Ky-An. The transmission just died and luckily he was right next to the Acura dealership so he dropped off the car there. Ai-Vy must be our lucky charm because it turn out, my car is still under warranty even though it's over 100,000 miles!!! The last time the car had a transmission recall, they changed out my transmission and extend the warranty to 109,000 miles. My car is currently at 104,000....how lucky is that?!! So they are exchanging a brand new transmission for us and gave Hieu a loaner car to drive around...an Acura MDX! That is so nice. Miss Ai-Vy gets to go home in style!
Ky-An also seem to be taking his new little sister well. Hieu pick him up to visit everyday and he points at Ai-Vy going "baby" and keep smiling everytime he points at her. He make Hieu pick him up so he can see his little sister and loves to kiss her. Today he came and the poor guy is so tired he took a nap here w/ his sister. It's the sweetest thing. I am glad he took a nap here because I got to see how he would be if Ai-Vy started crying..which she did and he stayed asleep! Woo hoo!! Hope he's stay asleep tomorrow night when we are all home also.
He has been doing pretty well at the babysitter's these past few days but she said he misses us because he walks around going "chachie chachie" and "me me". She said it breaks her heart during those moments. He also gets really sad around 6p.m. when all the other kids get picked up and he's still there. He'll walk to the window and keep looking out, I guess looking to see if daddy will pick him up. My poor little guy...at least it's almost over and we get to take him home with us tomorrow.
3 comments:
1st time here from Grace's blog.
1st of all -- congrats. She's beautiful and you look awesome.
The newborn stage is a bit trying, but hang in there. :) Also, I want to cheer you on to keep trying with the breastfeeding. Just let her suck away at your breast. The milk doesn't actually start to "free-flow" until day 3.
Will keep you in my prayers. (HUGS)
Oh I knew I should have checked here yesterday!!
As far as breastfeeding, the first couple of days there is no milk, but the baby is getting colostrum. Since their stomach is only the size of a marble, they will be satisfied, but will nurse often, and maybe even all the time,to draw in your milk. So don't be worried, she is getting all she needs.
This might make you a very busy lady, but what I did was bottle and then breast at each feeding and then pump. I did this at every feeding every two hours. I stopped the bottle when I started to get an ounce on each side and went to every three hours. It was a nightmare. It was a very aggressive schedule and I got no sleep, but Maya was jaundiced and the doctors were insistent. It didn't help that I was so stubborn. I wanted to give up, but couldn't. I didn't want to miss the opportunity to nurse my last one. And I'm soooo happy I hung in there. It all paid off!
Post a Comment