Friday, February 20, 2009

My birthday, my life - First day in a new country

I still remember the day we land in America. It was December 15, 1985. My dad had warn my mom to prepare us for the cold so she had an old lady knit us all brand new thick sweaters. We found out later that those sweaters are no protection against the winter in Houston.

The flight is over 20 hours so my mom gave us all cough medicine when we board the plane. We didn't know what it was and I just remember being really tired on the plane and don't remember much of it. In hindsight I completely understand why she would want to subdue us. She's a tiny woman traveling inter-continental with four small girls and all our lives packed up in suitcases. It probably did make the trip easier for all of us.

My mom woke me up as our plane land in San Francisco, CA. I remember they herd us through the airport, each of us have a nametag on us. Some charity handed out coats to everyone and we were so thankful because we have never experience such cold weather. They took us to a hotel and fed us dinner in the lobby. I believe it was broiled chicken and an apple. I've never had a plate of just meat to eat and it being so tasteless. I tried the apple and it didn't taste like any of the sweet fruits back home. We all ate about two bites and watch as they take all our full plates away, mesmerized by this new country where they threw away so much food without batting an eye.

They took us to hotel room and we felt like we are in the most luxurious resort. I remember all of us running place to place exclaiming about everything. The first thing we notice is the carpet. I remember it being so soft on my feet and I felt pampered just walking on it. (Now I won't even walk in those hotel room without slippers.) We then got excited about how not only is there indoor water, but hot water that comes out of the faucet!!! We lay on the bed and it just sink in and it's so nice, not those hard board we use as bed or the floor. I usually recall this experience to make sure I never take my life here for granted.

We stayed at San Francisco for the night and board another plane to Houston the next morning. There's much excitement this morning because my mom told us that dad will pick us up. We haven't seen our dad nor hear his voice in over four years so we pretty much grew up without him. My little sister has never seen my dad except in pictures so the word "dad" is just some illusion to her. She looked at my older sisters with interest and curious as to what the excitement was about. I myself didn't fully understand why my sisters were so excited either. To me "dad" was just a man who used to play with us and someone who I am suppose to respect. I had no idea who this man is as a person.

I wish I had remember what my mom's reaction was or how it was when she finally saw my dad for the first time after so long. I can only imagine the emotions running through her body and what a difficult time they both had to try and reconnect. The only thing I remember as soon as the plane land and my two older sister ran past us to look for dad. I hang back with my mom and she was holding my little sister. We got off the plane and I saw my sister was holding some man's hand. The dragged him over and told me say hello to dad. I shyly say hi to him and my aunt. He reached over to my little sister and tries to hold her but she quickly pulled back and started crying. Sadly, she never develop a bond with him, even through her adulthood.

We all cram into a four-door Oldsmobile Cutlass that my dad just bought in preparation of us coming over. We have never been in an automobile for so long before and I got carsick on the way home. We got back to his "home" and thought it was a so nice. In reality, it was just a two-bedroom apartment that was barely furnished. We marveled over the carpet again and everyone take turn bombarding my dad with questions. I remember thinking my dad is so wealthy and was amazed that he has TWO television in the house. I asked him how to turn that TV on and that's when I learned there is such a thing as a microwave. My dad then brought out a big bag of candy he bought for us in all varieties. We never had such treats and it was like Christmas! Needless to say my little sister warm up to him very quickly after that.

The saddest moment is after we ate the candy and my little sister said she wanted to go home to grandma. My mom tried to tell her that we are home but she said no! Grandma said when she's done eating all the candies then come back to Grandma so she needs to go home to grandma and then started crying.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I love the way you tell the story. From your point of view, yet always wondering what it might have been like for others. You are a very thoughtful person.

asiangard said...

Wow! Your story is so vivid, even after all thee years yo can remember it. I laughed about the yucky bland american food!