Friday, June 6, 2008

One year since I started couponing!

June marks my one year Anniversary of couponing. I am so thankful I've found Hot Coupon World and discover this whole world of savings. Not only was I able to stay within our grocery budget every month, I was able to cut it by $75 a month. It is very time-consuming but I think it's worth it. It has changed our way of life and it would be foolish of me to go back to wasting money. I am so glad that Hieu is also on board and supports me on this obession.

I just love my stockpile and the comfort of knowing I'll never have to pay full price for these things again. I have at least a year supply of wipes, toilet paper, towel paper, anti-bacterial handsoap, bodywash, shampoo, conditioner, lotion, diaper cream, deodorants, razor, toothpaste, sanitary napkins, toothbrush, mouthwash, facewash, hair gel, diaper, swimming diapers, floss, laundry detergent, dishwashing detergent, diswashing liquid, KY jelly (*giggle*), ziploc bags, freezer bags, tissue paper, cooking oil, cereal, Welch's grape juice, snacks, and gum. I have a good stockpile so I am a little pickier about what I buy. I don't feel like I have to chase down every single deal anymore and I've become a freebie snob. I can't imagine having to pay for toothpaste, deodorant, toothbrush, and razors anymore.

I got such a great deal for these things that I am able to share some with my family and friends and change some of their attitude towards couponing. When I first started, they basically look at me like I was crazy and teased me mercilessly. They said I am one of those annoying people with coupons and how it's a waste of time, ect. I just gave my parents 2 packs of Viva paper last week and gave my older sister about $100 worth of stuff that she's still raving about. My little sister's boyfriend was about to go to Wal-mart to get some toothpaste the other day and she ask him why he just doesn't get it from me? She can't imagine paying anything full price now and will ask me first if I have a coupon for something before going out. I gave toothpastes away to my aunt, my friends, and my co-workers. Last Christmas I brought a box of stuff to my aunt's house and everyone had a ball going through them. My parents are also able to bring a whole lot of gifts back to relatives and friends in Viet Nam. I even got my oldest sister to start couponing and do the deals that I am very proud of.

I finally have a semi-routine down where I go to the 99 cents store after 9 a.m. on Saturday to pick up some inserts. The odd thing is that they never have the CVS ad in there so I have to wait until Sunday morning when the deliver my paper to get it in hand. I will clip whatever coupons I need for that weeks sale and put them in my in-store coupon holder. I also go over to my sister's boyfriend's house to grab his newspaper every Sunday morning and our backyard neighbor's. Monday after work I will swing by this other lady's house on my way home to get the coupons she saved for me. Hieu will go by this other lady's house every Tuesday to get her insert and I'll go by my dad's some time during the week. By Thursday or Friday then I am ready to clip the coupons and file it in my binders. I have a large binder for all the Health and Beauty stuff and a smaller one for food. I still don't use a lot of the food coupons and most of my grocery budget nowadays is from the Asian grocery market.

If there is a good deal then I'll try to get out Saturday evening or after the kids are asleep after they made the switch to next weeks' sale. If I can't get out Saturday evening then I'll wake up early Sunday to go when the kids first wake up and be home in about an hour with breakfast for them. I will also go out during their afternoon nap or take one of the kids with me. I can never go for more than an hour because that's all Hieu can handle with the kids by himself. Whenever I take Ky-An with me, I am more distracted and the deals don't always go the way I planned. I always buy him a toy after each trip also because he's so good and I felt bad for him having to sit in the cart while I sort my coupons and search for deals.

I also go out during my lunchtime at work. If it's a good deal then I'll hit different stores everyday then come back and eat my lunch at my desk. I don't go out to eat with my co-workers as much as I used to. Sometimes there is a department lunch or if my boss wants to go out for lunch then I'll sacrifice my trips. I love hitting the stores around my work though because it's an upscale neighborhood so not a lot of people does the deals so I can find most things I need. The stores around my house are usually picked clean by 10 a.m. on Sunday.

My goal for the next year is to get a deep freezer, find a place to put it, and start stockpiling meat and food. I think that would help our grocery budget even more once I take advantage of some grocery deals. I also need to cook more at home so we can save even more money and throw them all towards our debt to be debt-free.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Happy Anniversary! Mine is this month, July! LOL